Spouse / Fiance / Partner / Civil Partner visa

Spouse/Fiance/Partner/Civil Partner visa

If you are a spouse, fiancé, a civil partner of settled person or UK national and intend to join with your spouse or partner in the UK, you should apply for your visa before you travel. You can apply either inside or outside the UK and this visa category enables you of a British National to apply for permanent residency in the UK after 5 years.

In order to qualify for spouse or partner, you need to satisfy a number of requirements and we work with you to ensure all the correct documents are submitted for your visa application, doing everything we can to secure you to enter or remain as a family member.

How we can help you?
  • We have vast knowledge and experience with UK spouse visa and ready to help you.
  • We advised detailed time scale in the visa application process.
  • We devised a bespoke action plan for you to meet the financial requirement
  • We will draft all necessary documents and ensure you can have peace of mind.

To find out more about how we can manage the application process on your behalf, contact us on 020 337 11033 or at info@imin4u.com.


Q & A

  • 1. What requirement do I need?
  • 2. What will this visa allow me to do while I am in the UK?
  • 3. Should I apply outside the UK?
  • 4. Should I speak English fluently?
  • 5. How can I prove my genuine relationship?
  • 6. Can I work?
  • 7. Can I bring my children?
  • 8. What money do I have to show to qualify as a spouse? Does it increase as more dependants are added to the application?
  • 9. Can I extend my spouse visa?
  • 10. What if my relationship ends?
  • 11. Can I live in the UK permanently?

To qualify for a UK spouse / Fiancé /Partner/Civil Partner visa you must satisfy the following requirements:

  • You and your spouse / Fiancé /Partner/Civil Partner must be 18 years old or over.
  • You must have met each other and be legally married - this is to prevent shame marriages.
  • If you are a partner, You should show cohabitation evidence for 2 years.
  • You must intend to live together permanently.
  • You must have enough money to support yourselves (and any dependents) without claiming public funds.
  • Your sponsoring partner must earn more than £18,600 per year or have enough savings to be able to sponsor you. The minimum financial requirement is higher if they are also sponsoring dependant children.
  • You must have suitable accommodation for you, your spouse and any dependants.
  • You must satisfy the English language requirements.

If permission is given, you will be allowed to live and work in the UK for two and a half years, after which you can apply to extend the visa for another 2 and a half years after this combined five years you can apply to live permanently if you are still married or living together.

No. If you are currently in the UK under another visa category, like a Tier 5 Visa, you can apply to switch over to a UK Spouse Visa (Settlement). However, you cannot switch in the UK from a visitor’s visa. If you are currently outside the UK, you would apply under this immigration route.

As a spouse visa applicant you must be able to show that you can speak and understand English.
You must meet the English language requirement if:

  • You are a national of a country outside the European Economic Area and Switzerland; and
  • You are in a relationship with a British citizen or a person settled in the UK; and
  • You want to immigrate to the UK as that person's spouse.

If you are not a national of a majority English-speaking country or do not have a degree taught in English then you will need to pass an English language test from an approved test provider.
If you are applying from overseas we can make arrangements for you to take an approved English language test in your home country.
Contact us on 020 337 11033 or at info@imin4u.com to find out more about the English language requirements.

The fiancé/proposed civil partner visa is for applicants who intend to get married in the UK to their British partner. As such, you will need to demonstrate that the wedding will go ahead within 6 months of the visa being granted.

As well as demonstrating that the wedding will go ahead, you will often need to prepare tailor-made documents, such as reference letters from friends and family, personal statements and other similar paperwork with which we will assist when preparing for your case.

Yes, you can. You are allowed to take up employment or conduct your own business. You can apply for a NI number and start work.
You can bring your biological child, step-child or adopted child with you. Children under 18 years of age can enter the UK as your dependants. You should make an application for them at the same time that you make your spouse visa application. Please note that your sponsoring spouse must show income of a specified amount, the level of which varies depending on the number of dependant children being sponsored.

The sponsor will need to meet a certain financial threshold in order to bring their fiancé/proposed civil partner to the UK. There are a number of ways to reach this requirement.

  • Under the current rules, sponsors will now need to be earning at least £18,600 for at least 6 continuous months prior to the visa application. They should also be with the same employer for the full duration of the 6 months; or
  • Sponsors who have worked for less than 6 months with the current employer will need to demonstrate earnings of at least £18,600 for the last 12 months; or
  • Sponsors who have held savings of £62,500 (assuming they are not in active employment), for at least 6 continuous months prior to the visa application can solely rely on the savings; or
  • Sponsors can have a combination of earnings and savings to make up the financial requirement.

There are a number of other ways to reach the financial requirement with the process for those who are self-employed also being slightly different. Financial requirement is one of the most common grounds for refusal, if you are not sure not sure whether you satisfy the financial requirement, please contact us on +44(0)20 337 11033 or e-mail us to info@imin4u.com.

You can apply for an extension for an additional 30 months which can take your total time in the UK on this visa up to five years. At this point you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) provided you are still married and living in the UK with your spouse and continue to meet the maintenance requirements. After you have been granted ILR you may be eligible to apply for naturalisation as British citizen.

The UKVI will decide whether to cancel your permission to stay in the UK. However, this will not automatically happen if the basis of your stay has changed. For example, you may qualify to remain in the UK on another basis, or there might be compassionate or other reasons why it would be inappropriate to cancel you stay.

As you have legally lived in the United Kingdom for at least 5 years, you may be able to apply to settle permanently in the UK. You still need to prove your genuine relationship, accommodation and financial requirement to file a successful application to reside in the UK permanently.